HomeHomeCareersBenefitsRepresented Retiree (before Jan 1, 2010)Eligibility


Is my family eligible for benefits?
Supporting documents as defined below must be provided to and approved by your Pension Advisor before family coverage under the Health Care Plan can be in effect.
  • Spouse: Birth certificate of spouse and marriage certificate
  • Common law: Birth certificate of common law partner and statutory declaration
  • Child: Birth certificate
  • Foster Child: Birth certificate and legal guardianship documentation
  • Adopted Child: Birth certificate and legal guardianship documentation (if not indicated on birth certificate)
  • Step-Child: Birth certificate (will only be eligible if spouse/common-law approved)

If you are an eligible retiree, you may choose family coverage under the Health Care Plan to cover your spouse and children, once they meet the plans’ definitions and proof of eligibility has been provided. Only one spouse may be covered at one time.

In the event of your death, your surviving spouse who is eligible for a pension from the NAV CANADA Pension Plan, can join the Health Care Plan once his or her pension becomes payable.

How do I know for sure that I have coverage?
Contact your Pension Advisor for information.
What if I lose or damage my benefit card?

You can visit the Sun Life Financial web site at www.mysunlife.ca/NAVCANADA and enter your Access ID and password to access your benefit information under the Health Care Plan. To obtain your Access ID, contact a Sun Life Financial Customer Care representative at 1-800-361-6212. The contract number (25298) and your member certificate number (provided by your Pension Advisor) will be required.

Once on the site, you must click on the “take me to” drop down menu in the centre of the page. Choose and click on “print a drug card”. An image of the drug card will appear on screen. Simply print as many copies as you require.

Can I change from single to family coverage under the Health Care Plan or vice versa? How?

Yes*. To change from single to family coverage, submit your application form to your Pension Advisor within 90 days of marriage, change to common-law status, or birth of child. Coverage takes effect the date of the event (subject to approval of proof of eligibility documents).

When changing from family to single coverage, the effective date of the change will be no later than 60 days following receipt of the application.

*Effective August 1, 2015 change from single to family coverage will only be accepted as a result of a new life event (within 90 days of new dependant elgibility).

Can I cancel coverage?
To cancel Health Care coverage, you must send a written request to your Pension Advisor.
Published on February 01, 2016